11 Ways to Market Your App Online
19 December 2017, by Helenzys Team
It takes an enormous amount of effort to turn a mobile app idea into a winning one as 100s of apps are being launched to the app stores every day. To make your app stand out from the crowd and to reach your targeted users, an effective marketing strategy is obligatory.
Let me tell you some of the ways through which you can spread the awareness of your app and boost your sales. I have categorized them into paid and unpaid ways so that your marketing strategist can easily work on.
#1. Build a Website/Microsite
One of the best and easiest ways to promote your app is to have a simple one-page website or a microsite that showcases complete details about your App. These days, many users prefer to search online before downloading an app as there is only minimal information provided on the app store page. Therefore, a simple website highlighting key elements of the app will not only help in your SEO rankings but also increases your app downloads. Moreover, with the advanced tools like WordPress, Drupal, Wix, Joomla, etc., it’s no longer hard to create a website.
#2. Create Blogs
Write interesting blogs on the topics related to your app and try to steer users to your app page while persuading them to download the app. You can also promote these blogs at various places such as social media, blogging sites, etc., to increase the reach of your app.
#3. App Store Optimization
This is one of the most important things to look at. Be it in the Play Store or iTunes Store, your app needs to be optimized in the best way to get discovered by the users promptly. Nearly, 60 percent of the app downloads actually come from browsing through app stores. So, here are few things to follow for better app store optimization:
- A little bit of keyword planning– Use tools like Adwords Keyword Planner, SEMRush or Spyfu to list out potential keywords for your app and incorporate them while uploading your app to the app store. These tools will show you the number of searches for each keyword. Add these keywords to the keywords section and keep optimizing them according to the search trend.
- Make sure your title is apt – Give an appropriate title to the App. Ensure that there’s no misspelling. Adding a keyword to the title can help you in SEO rankings.
- A meaningful description – Include your app key functionalities, features, and related keywords in the app description. But please don’t stuff your description with inappropriate keywords.
- Target location – If your app is targeted towards a specific geographic region, make sure you are selecting the right country while uploading the app. If your app is not geography-centric, then target it globally. This could bring more visitors to your app store page.
- Link to your website – It is likely that people will download an app that has a website linked to it.
- Promo Video – Add an informative promotional video to drastically improve the download rates. Videos create an impression in the mind of users and could impact their purchase decision.
- Screenshots – Make sure screenshots are clear and show functionalities and UIs to the user while having his first look.
- Icons – Design an attractive and visible icon for your app. Research shows that apps with better icons get more downloads.
- Previous Apps – If you already have any apps in the app store with a good download rate, it is better to upload the new app using the same developer account. This will enhance your app visibility by suggesting it to the previous app users.
#4. Exploit Social Media
- Create a Facebook Page
Create a business page on Facebook for your app. Update the profiles with fresh content and link it to your app page, website, and other social profiles. Keep posting regularly with attractive images and blog posts related to your app and share them in relevant groups.
- Twitter Profile
Twitter is one of the largest social media platforms to connect with a massive number of users. The trending hashtag option from Twitter will help you in reaching the targeted customer. Also, make sure you link your App Website to the Twitter profile.
- Google Plus Profile
Just like other social media, create a profile on Google Plus with appropriate details. This can act as a high PR backlink for the promotion of your Website. Also, share posts in communities for better reach.
- Instagram Business Profile
Create an Instagram profile and convert it to a business profile. The business profile will facilitate easy call making options for users and helps showcase your linked website.
- LinkedIn Profile
LinkedIn allows you to make professional connections and acts as a great backlink for your website. You can also use paid ways to boost your app marketing; we will discuss this later in this blog.
- Same with Pinterest, Tumblr, Vkontakte & other Social Media. Explore and make the most of it.
- Create Gifs and short videos from platforms like Vine and share them on social media for greater reach.
#5. Email Campaigns
Conduct Email Campaigns using email marketing platforms like MailChimp. If you have an email database of potential app users, inbox them attractive newsletters and offers with app download buttons or buttons that link to your website, and social media. Most of these platforms will allow you to track opens, bounces, and even get the location-specific data.
#6. Create “How to” videos on the app usage & benefits and share it on video hosting sites like Youtube, Dailymotion, Ustream etc.
Facebook allows you to link your YouTube Channel to the Facebook profile. These Video streaming sites will allow you to submit your website information in the profile, video descriptions or to incorporate into the video. You can even share the videos on your social media profiles.
#7. Submit Backlinks to your Promotional Website/Microsite
Use social bookmarking sites that allow you to submit website details to them for free.
#8. Reach out to Editors, Journalists of Press and Magazines and Discuss your App Details
Persuade them on how the app usage is going to change the lives of people. And convince why it is worthy of being published. Get your content published!
#9. Include Promotional Website Link in your Email Signature
#10. Submit your Apps to App Review Websites like Feedmyapp, Appadvice, 148Apps, Appstorm, etc.
# 11. Pay for Ads
If you are already done with the free promotions and if you want to expand your user base more, then you can always go for these paid ways to boost your app downloads or traffic.
- LinkedIn Ads – LinkedIn has come up with these set of advertising options to boost your page and increase awareness, ultimately resulting in more downloads.
- Facebook Ads/ Instagram Ads – A very worthwhile platform with lots of users and effective targeting. Since Instagram is owned by Facebook, you can even set up your Instagram sponsored ads from here. This allows you to target customers and give clickable links to your Instagram posts.
- Twitter Ads – Twitter Ads campaigns are based on business goals. Discover which objective-based campaign is right for you, based on your business needs and focus on that.
- Google Adwords – This allows you to set a budget and pay for your ad when a user searches for a keyword and finds your add. Google Adwords can be also used to display your ads in other apps.
- Apple Search Ads – Apple Search Ads is an advertising option for promoting your app in the apple app store.
- Bing Ads – It is a Yahoo’s advertising service similar to Google Adwords.
- Pinterest Ads – Promote your best pins to appear in the most relevant places.
These are all the different ways to market your app(s) online. You can also work on promoting your app offline through Word of mouth, Banners and Posters with QR codes and other Augmented Reality enabled contents. Sending SMS to Play store or iTunes store links could even get you some more downloads. Make sure you are tracking your online statistics through Google Analytics. This could give you a detailed idea of where to target and where your ad spends should focus on. Thanks for reading.